* = All postings flagged with an asterisk are not UVM-sponsored/endorse
Class of 2021
Back to top
Class of 2022
Back to top
Class of 2023
Back to top
Class of 2024
Back to top
WEEKLY UVM Larner Med FYIs
- THIS WEEK - Enter to for a Chance to Win a Pint on Us! 'tis the season to curl up in front of a good show with your own pint. No... not THAT kind of pint. OMSE will draw a few lucky winners to receive a coupon for a free pint of Ben & Jerry's on Wednesday morning, 11/25! "Throw your name in the hat" no later than 8am, 11/25 to enter...
- THIS WEEK - TEMPORARY SUBMISSION DEADLINE - WeeklyWire: 11/25 @7am. In light of the 11/26-11/27 UVM administrative holiday, submissions for the 11/30-12/06 issue of the WeeklyWire are due no later than 7am, on Wednesday, 11/25.
- THIS WEEK - UVM Offices Closed Thursday & Friday, 11/26 & 11/27: 11/26 & 11/27, all day. UVM Offices, including the Office of Medical Student Education, are closed in observance of the Thanksgiving Holiday. Offices will re-open on Monday, November 30, at 8am. Please plan accordingly and we apologize for any inconvenience.
- UVM Bookstore Sales: Shop early and shop safely during the UVM Bookstore's “Season of Savings.” Be sure to mark your calendars and follow the UVM Bookstore on social media for all the latest news and sales this holiday season. Certain exclusions apply. Not valid on previous purchases or in combination with other discounts.
- 11/14 - 11/22: 25% off UVM clothing and gift items In store and online with coupon code "SWEET25"
- 11/14 - 12/23: Spend $100 and receive a free, limited edition Finley Bear. In store and online. While supplies last.
- 11/26 - 11/30: 20% off UVM clothing and gift items, plus free shipping on orders over $75. Online only with coupon code "TOGETHER20"
- 12/4 - 12/11: 25% off UVM clothing and gift items. Online only with coupon code"ENJOY25"
- VisualDx Improves Features to Locate Images of Skin of Color: A point-of-care diagnostic system, VisualDx has several features that allow you to locate images of clinical signs in skin of color. These images are licensed for clinical and educational use by UVM and UVMMC students, faculty and staff through the Dana Medical Library. Learn more here...
- Contacting UVMhealth Folks: We've been informed @uvmhealth.org email accounts are up and running again! YAY! Messages sent since November 4th, 2020 were not delivered and should be resent. Please reach out to your UVMMC colleagues if you are unsure if a message was delivered.
- New Larner Medicine Issue: November 18, 2020 - Volume II, Issue 22 recently "hit the shelves"; check it out...
- Download LiveSafe App: Allows you to easily share & access key emerging safety and security risk info before they escalate; direct messaging during emergencies; safety resources; SafeWalk feature; access to key COVID-19
resources & more. The UVM LiveSafe app has versions for students, employees, and visitors with tailored content. Questions/suggestions?
- Revised Bookstore Hours and Services: After Thanksgiving, in-store shopping at the main bookstore in the Davis Center will be limited to UVM students, faculty and staff. Will be open from 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m. weekdays, 11/30
- 12/11 and the bookstore will be closed for all in-person shopping 12/12–12/23. Orders can still be placed online for either
curbside pickup or for shipment. Read more about visiting the bookstore and the Season of Savings...
- UVM Hillel: UVM Hillel is a beautiful space. All students are welcome to attend Shabbat Services (currently via ZOOM) and
other events celebrating Jewish life at UVM with UVM Hillel.
- Scan Your Computer/Tablet for Threats: In case you missed it, Dean Jemison's 11/06 email "Addressing Malware Concerns" provided step-by-step instructions on how to scan your Larner device for any threats...
- STATA Access: STATA is available for all UVM students via central UVM IT. Go to the Software Download site to
search for STATA. You will need to log-in with your UVM NetID and password to get access. If you have any questions about the Software Download you can contact UVM IT Support.
- UVM Vets Honored: 11/11 was Veteran’s Day, and to mark the occasion President Suresh Garimella sent a message of thanks and recognition to veterans in the UVM community...
- UVMLarnerMed in a Time of COVID-19 - Coronavirus (COVID-19)-Related Special Reports/Information:
- A Thanksgiving Message: 11/17 email from Dean Page, Dean of the Larner College of Medicine...
- UVM Mosaic Center for Students of Color Resource: The MCSC is leaving to-go bags out in front of the MCSC kitchen door (L/L E 101) for students who wish to pick them up! If you have not grabbed a bag yet, we encourage you to do so!
- Free Community Dinner and Free Winter Coats*: On Thursday November 26th at 9:00 AM, free coats will be given away at Sweetwater's, 120 Church Street, Burlington. Also on that day, from 10:00 AM - 2:30 PM a free community dinner (to-go) will be available for pickup. Get the details...
- Everyone Eats: Everyone Eats is a great program from Shiftmeals that "provides nutritious meals to Vermonters in need of food assistance as well as a stabilizing source of income for Vermont restaurants, farmers, and food producers".
- UVM Rally Cat's Cupboard: 802-299-1976, email@example.com. Located in Hills Building 105 Carrigan Drive Room 15. Hours: Mondays from 4-8 and Fridays from 10-2. All students welcomed!
- UVM Weekly Testing Report
- ACTION REQUIRED - Student Group (includes all SIGs and Student Leadership Groups) - Resumption of Operations Plan, under COVID-19: All student groups must complete a Resumption of Operations Plan to resume activity, under COVID-19. Without review and approval, groups are considered inactive (cannot access university resources/funding).
- Approved Plans: Fall-approved resumption plans carry over to the spring session as long as they still accurately reflect the activities and limits. This may change based on responses to weather and indoor/outdoor considerations. Please monitor your local health and safety guidelines carefully, and please do not hesitate to reach out to your advisor or our office with any questions.
Back to top
Welcome to the new "Community Wellness" section of the WeeklyWire! Be sure to review this section for any announcements regarding student wellness! If you ever have any questions about this section, it's postings, or any wellness topics, please do
not hesitate to contact our Director of Student Well-being, Dr. Lee Rosen.
- THIS WEEK - Virtual Thanksgiving Bake Off: 11/28 submission deadline. This Thanksgiving week, take a picture of your best looking Thanksgiving baked good (or cooking if you don't bake!) and share it to your Instagram story tagging @larnerwellness to enter the virtual bake off; no instagram, no worries; PRIZES!...
- THIS WEEK - Thanksgiving Virtual Events: In addition to the bake off, Student Council, Wellness Committee, and the Board games and Beyond SIG, will be hosting a series of Virtual Thanksgiving get-togethers. Sign-up for some/all of these virtual events. Events include; game nights, Thanksgiving dinner, movie nights, happy hour, and many more!
- Navigating Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): SAD, also known as seasonal depression, affects millions of Americans during the dark months of winter. In 2020, the coronavirus adds another layer of difficulty for people who suffer from the malady. This recent CNN story which provides suggestions from researchers on ways to fight the winter blues...
- Some "Holidays Under COVID-19" Readings:
UVM COVID-19 Student Testing Protocol: Are you visiting our VT-campus weekly to use space/resources in person? Then, you MUST be testing every seven days, at our Davis Center COVID-19 testing center. Testing is being offered through the winter break (and slots are already posted - plan your Dec and Early-Jan testing schedule, now!). Schedule tests via the CoVerified app/browser-based platform.
- Clinical Students Excused for Testing: The Clinical Level course directors support this protocol. They are aware of the weekly requirement and support students to be excused from their curriculum for 30 minute weekly testing
- Temporary Exemption Request Process: If you are away for a week and will therefore miss your 7-9 day testing window, you must submit a temporary exemption request
, and you cannot step onto VT/UVMMC campus(es) during an exemption window.
- Vermont Travel Guidelines: All students must still continue to adhere to state and local health and safety guidelines, including travel and quarantine requirements.
If you enter a travel-mandated quarantine and you are not experiencing any symptoms, you can secure your day-seven test via the Davis Center clinic (counts as your weekly test, too!).
Back to top
LCOMcares: VOLUNTEER/SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES
Vermont Works for Women Career Support Program: A new program to connect women around the state with mentors who can provide career support. If you think you could use a career mentor, contact Rachel Kauppila. If you'd like to help other women find and keep jobs that meet their needs and you're interested in a flexible and virtual volunteer opportunity, sign up to become a career mentor, today.
Back to top
UNIVERSITY OPPORTUNITIES & UPCOMING EVENTS
- MON, Nov 23 - TUES, Nov 24: No UVM/UVMLarnerMed community events posted for these days.
- WED, Nov 25:
- TEMPORARY SUBMISSION DEADLINE - WeeklyWire: 11/25 @7am. In light of the 11/26-11/27 UVM administrative holiday, submissions for the 11/30-12/06 issue of the WeeklyWire are due no later than 7am, on Wednesday, 11/25.
- THU, Nov 26 - FRI, Nov 27: No UVM/UVMLarnerMed community events posted for these days.
- UVM Offices Closed: 11/26 & 11/27, all day. UVM Offices, including the Office of Medical Student Education, are closed in observance of the Thanksgiving Holiday. Offices will re-open on Monday, November 30, at 8am. Please plan accordingly and we apologize for any inconvenience.
- SAT, Nov 28:
- SUN, Nov 29: No UVM/UVMLarnerMed community events posted for this day.
- 2020 GHHS-AOA Informational Session: 11/30, 12-1pm, via Zoom (passcode required). UVM Larner Med hosts two primary honors societies for which students can qualify for membership. Join us to hear from our faculty councilors as they present an overview of GHHS & AOA...
- UVM Larner Med Communications Task Force Check-in: 11/30, 4-4:30pm, via Zoom. Open to Larner Community to anyone passionate about communications and/or has ideas for improving communications across the College...
- Careers in Medicine Specialty Panel Series – Internal Medicine/Pulmonary/CCM with Dr. Garth Garrison: 12/01, 12-12:50pm, via Zoom.
- Monthly Student Education Group (SEG) Meeting: 12/01, 6-7:30pm, via Zoom.
- Pediatrics Grand Rounds - TBD: 12/02, 8-9am, via Zoom.
- Monthly Larner Medical Student Council Meeting: 12/02, 5-7pm, via Zoom.
- “StorySlamRx - Voices of Medicine” Storytelling Workshop with Susanne Schmidt: 12/03, 4-5:30pm, via Zoom (preregistration required). In this workshop, you will learn how to take your story from the page, to the stage...
- Region 1 SNMA Presents "Allyship: A Lifestyle": 12/03, 9:30-10:30pm, via Zoom (preregistration required). Delve deep into how to be effective and humble allies in the fight for equity and justice for Black students, patients, and communities...
- Good Morning Coffee/Tea With Dean Zehle: 12/04, 7-8am, Courtyard - outside of the student lounge OR via Zoom.
- The Graduate Writing Center is hiring for the Spring '21 semester! 12/04 application deadline. 6-10 hr time commitment/week. $15/hr starting pay. If you are an experienced graduate student writer who would like to help other graduate students with their writing while also working toward a tutor certification, consider becoming a graduate writing consultant...
- SIG DEADLINE - Renewal Form: 12/18 submission deadline. New SIG leaders need to complete the SIG Renewal form and send it to the Chair of Student Leadership as soon as possible and no later than 12/18 (prior to the holiday break)...
- SAVE THE DATE – Third Annual StorySlamRx – Voices in Medicine: 01/21/21, 6:30 – 9pm, via Zoom (preregistration required; a LIVE virtual event!).
- SAVE THE DATE - Solidarity Week for Compassionate Patient Care: February 15-19, 2021. A weeklong recognition event. GHHS chapters, medical schools, and patient care institutions from across the country promote activities to celebrate
their dedication to ensuring compassionate, patient-centered care. Check out the 2020 celebrations...
- SAVE THE DATE - Thank a Resident Day: 02/26/2021. Residency is a key component of graduate medical training, offering an in-depth exposure to medical practice. Join the Gold Humanism Honor Society in bringing to light the importance of the residence staff and encouraging medical students at chapters throughout the nation to show our gratitude and appreciation...
- DROP-IN MEETINGS (Remote meetings only, until further notice):
Back to top
STUDENT FINANCIAL SERVICES (Scholarships, Awards, & Finance FYIs)
One on one reviews re: your financial aid budget: Need assistance plotting your spending plan?...
Interested in games: Do you like virtual games to unwind?...
New Personal Finance BOOK CLUB! Med SFS is excited to launch our personal finance book club, meeting virtually the 2nd Friday of every month from 12-1, beginning in January! We have 12 of some of the best and most inspiring personal finance books of all time (to date) lined up, and we can’t wait to discuss them with you. Let those phenomenal Amazon reviews lure you in! Happy reading! View the reading line up and RSVP...
NEW! Student Financial Services Drop-ins Sign-up Now Available: Sign-up for a drop-in with Kari Brayden, our Student Financial Services Coordinator...
Back to top
RESEARCH, LEADERSHIP & FELLOWSHIP
Participants Needed for UVM Winter Blues Study: UVM is seeking volunteers age 18 and older to participate in a research study on Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Diagnostic assessment and treatment therapy will be offered at no charge. Compensation up to $530 for qualified participants. Call 802-656-9890. Learn more...
- Live Online Professional Grant Development Workshop*: 12/10-12/11, live online workshop (registration required). $595.00 workshop fee includes a comprehensive list of resources, workbook, and certificate of completion. Will include instruction, interactive discussions, and one-on-ones with the instructor...
- DEADLINE EXTENDED - CVRI Viridis Montis Early Career Investigator Challenge in Cardiovascular Disease: Due to the recent cyberattack, please note the submission deadline has been extended to Monday, December 14, 2020 (by 5:00PM) (was originally 12/02). $2500 to winner and $1000 to winner's mentor. $1500 to second place and $500 to third place. A unique Early Career investigator competition highlighting cardiovascular research, health/wellness, and service to the State of Vermont...
- Gold Foundation opens nominations for Pearl Birnbaum Hurwitz Award: 12/18 nomination deadline. $1,000 award and cost to attend honoring ceremony covered. For a woman who exemplifies humanism and has advanced the well-being of vulnerable or underserved populations in health care...
- Fellowships at Auschwitz for the Study of Professional Ethics (FASPE) Medical Fellowship*: 01/06/21 application deadline. Program runs 06/11/21-06/25/21. Fully funded. An intensive, two-week study program in professional ethics and ethical leadership...
- 2021 Vilcek-Gold Award for Humanism in Healthcare: 01/24/21 nomination deadline. The award shines a spotlight on immigrant leaders in healthcare and recognizes the positive impact that humanistic care has on public health in the United States...
- SAVE THE DATE! 37th Women in Medicine Conference: 05/14-05/16, moved to a virtual program.
Back to top
ARTS & PUBLICATION
The Nocturnists Season 3 Continues! The Nocturnists are launching the remaining four "classic" Nocturnists episodes of Season 3! The first episode, "Not Cut Out for This," by medical student Latha Panchap, was released on 11/17...
Green Mountain Medicine's 12th episode: SGLT2 Inhibitors - A Cardiac and Renal Perspective, is now online! In this episode, we are joined by Internal Medicine PGY-3s and soon-to-be fellows Dr. Carrie Mahurin and Dr. Jen Bergeron...
Call for your video story - Share a moment of human connection in healthcare: The Gold Foundation is collecting stories of humanism in healthcare in 2020, short,
1-2 minutes told in a video – simply you speaking to your video and sharing a story of the power of the human connection. Any moving story that helps other people understand more vividly why humanism in healthcare deeply matters would be appreciated...
Back to top
YOU SAID, WE DID - YOUR WORDS IN ACTION
If you receive feedback from students and put that feedback into action, please let our student community know; submit postings/updates to Medical Student Services by
7am, on Fridays. Postings are reviewed by the Office of Medical Student Education Medical Education Leadership Team on Mondays for inclusion in an upcoming issue of the WeeklyWire. Community members can also view our database of current and past “You Said, We Did” submissions, in the Learning Commons.
Back to top
* = All postings flagged with an asterisk are not UVM-sponsored/endorsed