Emergency Resources

piggy bank with stethoscope
Our full-time medical students often do not have earnings/income or significant savings to rely on during periods of enrollment. For this reason, we strive to connect you with pertinent resources that may supplement financial aid.

  • Hunger Free Vermont "words to end the injustice of hunger and malnutrition for all Vermonters" - visit their website for food access information, including the 3SquaresVT program. Click here to view the flyer on college students' eligibility for food assistance.
  • UVM's Food Insecurity Program website promotes the campus Rally Cat food pantry and the Swipe Out Hunger program.
  • Vermont's Everyone Eats 
  • CVOEO, the Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity, offers help with housing/rent, utility costs, and food. CVOEO's safety net programs can help lower other costs of living so you have more money for food.
  • LHOME Initiative: Dana Allison '23 is a great resource for information about insecurity. Watch the recorded Emergency Resources Town Hall from November 2020.
  • Vermont Student Assistance Corporation has a "micro grant" program for emergencies. You must meet VSAC's definition of a Vermonter. Contact for the micro grant program details as well as the application/nomination form.

UVM Emergency Grant Program

The UVM Emergency Grant Program supports students seeking immediate. one-time financial assistance due to a temporary hardship or emergency.

Please visit the UVM Emergency Grant Program Webpage for more information.


WellConnect is our partner for providing medical students with free Certified Financial Planning. Did you know WellConnect also has a Work Life Benefit Team that maintains a special database of various assistance opportunities specific to your situation and/or geographic region? Examples include programs on renter assistance, food pantries, community partnerships, utility heating assistance, and much more!

UVM Care Team logo
Do you know of a peer who has a concerning financial situation? For example, at risk of homelessness or severe food scarcity? Please consider submitting a CARE (Concerning and/or Risky Event) Form so that a coordinated and appropriate response can be executed.

Quick Links

Medical SFS HomeRequest Information or To Be ContactedDrop in apptsHow Are We Doing

Are you still feeling as if you need further resources? Consider filling out the Financial Aid Appeal Form to receive extra funding above the typical allotments. Please note, it is recommended you reach out to Medical Student Financial Services to discuss your needs first, so we can ensure the most helpful solutions.