Vermont AHEC encourages young people and career-changers to consider health care for a rewarding, in-demand career. To learn more, AHEC can help in these ways:
October is Health Care Career Awareness Month in Vermont!
Each year, Vermont AHEC and its partners develop a series of events to highlight health care career options in Vermont and the U.S. AHEC offers a Toolkit of activities for teachers to use in supporting student exploration of health care careers. It is available at www.vthealthcareers.org. This month-long observance was passed into Vermont law by the state Legislature in May 2010.
See the October Health Care Career Awareness Month page for more information and resources.
Explore Health Care Careers Online
AHEC maintains a Vermont-specific web site that helps students/career-changers learn about health careers and educational pathways: www.vthealthcareers.org. Learn about opportunities for jobs that offer respect, appreciation and great pay.
Job Shadow, Summer Learning, Classroom Presentations, Health Career Clubs
- AHEC provides MedQuest summer sessions for high school students to explore and experience health careers
- AHEC arranges job Shadow Days where students can spend a day observing a health career with a professional in the field
- AHEC offers classroom visits where a Health Career educator engages students in health career discussions, using hands-on tools of the trade and curriculum that is responsive to proficiency-based graduation requirements and personal learning plans (PLPs)
- AHEC participates in Student Career Fairs: watch for the AHEC exhibit at your student career fair, where an AHEC staff member can guide you to resources for learning about health care careers
- AHEC sponsors many other health care workforce development initiatives
Contact your regional AHEC office to learn more about the possibilities in your area: