Care of Sharps
- "Sharps" containers (i.e. rigid needle disposal containers) should be in all examination rooms, patient rooms and procedure rooms for convenient and safe disposal of needles, scalpel blades and other sharp instruments immediately following use.
- Needles and other sharp, devices must be handled with extraordinary care and concentration. The primary user is responsible for safe disposal.
- Needles will not be recapped, purposefully bent, broken or removed from disposable syringes, but rather immediately disposed of in a "sharps" container.
- Needles from IV tubing or from non-disposable syringes should be removed with a clamp and disposed of in a "sharps" container.
Applicability of the Policy
Related Larner College of Medicine Policies
Related University of Vermont Policies
Related Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) Standard(s)
12.8 Student Exposure Policies/Procedures
- 5/20/2014 Policy Adopted/Affirmed [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 3/17/2020 Reformatted [Medical Curriculum Committee]
Associate/Assistant Dean for Students (Director of Student Well-being)
Previous | Next