Immunizations and Other Health Information
Entering medical students are required to demonstrate evidence of having completed the following tests and immunizations prior to matriculation:
- MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella): Two doses of MMR vaccine or two doses of Measles, two doses of Mumps and one dose of Rubella; or serologic proof of immunity for Measles, Mumps and/or Rubella.
- Hepatitis B Vaccination: Three doses vaccination followed by a quantitative Hepatitis B Surface Antibody (titer) preferably drawn 4-8 weeks after third dose. If negative, complete a second Hepatitis B series (3 dose requirement) followed by a repeat titer. If Hepatitis B Surface Antibody is negative after a secondary series, additional testing including Hepatitis B Surface Antigen should be performed. Please review the CDC Recommendationsfor more information. Documentation of Chronic Active Hepatitis B is for rotation assignments and counseling purposes only.
- Tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis: One dose of adult Tdap. If last Tdap is more than 10 years old, provide date of last Td and Tdap.
- Tuberculosis Screening: Results of last two TSTs (PPDs) or one IGRA blood test are required regardless of prior BCG status. If you have a history of a positive TST (PPD)>=10mm or IGRA please supply information regarding any evaluation and/or treatment. When providing documentation for clinical away rotations, please note that skin test or IGRA results should not expire during proposed elective rotation dates or they must be updated with the receiving institution prior to the rotation. Please review the Tuberculosis Skin Testing policy for more information.
- Varicella (Chicken Pox): Two doses of vaccine or positive serology.
- Influenza Vaccine: One dose annually each fall.
- Some UVM clinical training sites may require additional immunizations and rotation assignments are not adjusted based on immunization status.
NOTE: If a student has travel that puts them at risk of exposure, they should be seen in travel clinic to discuss their travel plans and associated health risks.
Complete and submit the AAMC Standardized Immunization Form directly to the UVM Center for Health and Wellbeing, LCOM Immunization/Serology Compliance, 425 Pearl St., Burlington, VT 05401 by July 1 of the student's matriculation year. The form is available on the Medical Student Admissions website.
Students will not be permitted to enroll in the Larner College of Medicine without providing evidence of completed immunization records. For the safety of patients and students alike, this policy will be strictly enforced.
Students are responsible for the cost of any necessary testing or immunizations, not covered by their health insurance. Documentation of the students’ immunizations, antibody status and tuberculosis testing status will be provided to the appropriate offices at affiliated hospitals at which clinical education is conducted.
Hepatitis B Exception
Students will be allowed to enter clinical settings prior to completion of their six-month hepatitis B series only if documentation has been provided by the above deadline demonstrating that they are in the process of completing the requirements and have arranged a plan with the Center for Health and Wellbeing to fulfill the requirements as soon as possible. Failure to meet deadlines and obligations as outlined in an approved exception plan is viewed as a violation of professional expectations and will result in an 'out of compliance' immunization status and may necessitate removal from the curriculum. Students who are notified that they are ‘out of compliance’ a second time will be referred to the Committee on Fitness for professionalism concerns.
Applicability of the Policy
Reviewed and Approved
- Medical Curriculum Committee, on June 18, 2019
Previous | Next