Guidelines for Applying to the Pharmacology Master's Programs
Applications for the Fall semester should be submitted by April 1. Students wishing to submit an application beyond that deadline may do so with permission of the Pharmacology MS Program Director, Dr. Tony Morielli.
General Application Requirements:
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Academic transcripts. We recommend but do not require a GPA of 3.0 and a curricular background in biology, physiology and/or chemistry.
- Statement of Purpose that describes your reasons for wanting to obtain an MS degree in Pharmacology. Please address the following points:
a. Please indicate whether you are applying for the Traditional Master's Program (open to all applicants) or the Accelerated Master's Program (open only to University of Vermont students who will be seniors at the time of admission).
b. Indicate whether you plan on pursuing a course based or research based MS. It is not necessary to decide before applying, but it helps us to know if you have a strong interest in one path or the other. If you are interested in a research-based MS, please take a look at the websites of the Pharmacology Department faculty and indicate the ones that you might be interested in working with. Please also indicate if you are interested in working in a lab outside of Pharmacology.
c. Previous research experience is not required, but if you have some, please describe it, with a focus on your roll in the project.
d. Tell us your plans for the future. For example, are you hoping to apply for jobs in the biomedical industry or another type of non-academic path, or are you planning to apply to graduate school or medical school.
e. Please address any concerns that you think we might have about your application. For example, if your GPA is low, but there were extenuating circumstances, please let us know.
f. If you would like, please tell us a little bit about yourself too!
- Admission is based on an overall assessment of grade point average and curriculum background, research experience (if any), and letters of recommendation. GRE scores are not required, but will be considered if provided. The Department of Pharmacology does not have specific cut-off levels for GPAs, or GRE exam scores.
- International students must have a minimum TOEFL score of 90 (6.5 IELTS)
Applicants for the Accelerated Master's Program must complete and upload to their application a form located on the Graduate College Website (Application). This form requires the signatures from the Dean's Office of their undergraduate program and description of the process required to approve the courses which they wish to count towards UG and GR credits. Applicants will upload this signed form into their application.
All applications are submitted to the Graduate College. Please do not submit your application directly to the Department of Pharmacology. For detailed information on the application process and materials, please visit: https://www.uvm.edu/graduate/application_instructions.
Please contact the Program Coordinator, Dr. Anthony Morielli, for information on the AMP Program and the application requirements.