The Robert Larner, M.D.College of Medicine at The University of Vermont
Orientation Frequently Asked Questions

Pre-Matriculation Requirements

  • What is a 95 number (also known as your Student ID#)?
    Every student is issued a 95 number upon acceptance. This is your student ID number and how you are identified in the UVM Banner System. You can find your 95 number in your myUVM portal page. You will need this number to get your CATcard and activate your UVM email the first time you access your email account.  You may also locate this identification number in OASIS by selecting ACCOUNT>Edit Account Information.

  • How do I change my name/address on my application?
    It is your responsibility to update AMCAS with changes in your address and telephone number until you arrive on campus. We will only accept changes to this information via AMCAS. The Office of Admissions uses Return Service for all of our correspondence through regular mail; thus, forwarding your mail via the postal service without notifying AMCAS will not be sufficient to ensure you will receive mail from Medical Student Admissions.

    Once you register for a UVMNetID, you will begin to receive email notifications via your UVM email address as well as the up-to-date email address provided to the AMCAS system.

    Once you've matriculated, all official University communication will be via your UVM and the Larner College of Medicine email account. Contact information will need to be updated via the myUVM Portal.

    Name changes are processed by the University of Vermont Registrar's Office. If you have legally changed your name and would like your educational records to be updated to reflect that change, you will need to complete the Registrar Office Name Change Form and return it (by mail, fax, or in person) with two acceptable forms of identification to the University of Vermont Registrar's Office in the Waterman Building.  Acceptable forms of identification include a driver's license, a marriage certificate, a Social Security card, a passport, and a court document.

    If you have not legally changed your name but would like to indicate a preferred name, please visit the Preferred Name and Pronoun page.
  • When should I be able to access my pre-matriculation checklist?
    Notification that you have access to the Online Access to Student Information and Scheduling (OASIS)-based checklist is sent to your email address, beginning mid-spring as soon as your OASIS user account has been created.

  • I'm having trouble accessing my checklist; how do I get into the OASIS system?
    To access your checklist, go to OASIS,  choose "Web Service," and enter your University of Vermont credentials. Your password is case-sensitive.  NOTE:  Please preface your UVM username with campus\ in Oasis.  While the software will initially allow you to log in without the preface, when the Larner College of Medicine Technical Support Team begins to create LCOM-specific credentials for distribution at Orientation, you will no longer be able to log in without the preface.

    Once in, select the current academic year and click on the two links listed under "Announcements" to: (1) complete the Requirements Checklist and, (2) update your Academic History file. Please reference the Step-by-Step Matriculation Requirements Instructionsfor more information.

If you encounter any login difficulty, the most common errors are not choosing the Web Services link, not prefacing your username with campus\ or using a forward slash rather than a back slash.  If you are still unable to log into the system, you will want to verify that you are signing in with the correct username and password. Visit the UVM Email System and sign into your UVM mail using your UVM credentials. If you are unable to get into the email account you either: A) have to activate your UVM credentials or "Set up your NetID" or, B) have to re-set your password. Instructions for both can be found at the UVM Tech Support NetID Help Page. If you have any questions about your UVM credentials, you can contact UVM Account Services at 802-656-2006.  Once you successfully verify your UVM credentials, you should be able to log into OASIS.

Contact the Office of Medical Student Education if you have questions.

  • Am I supposed to do anything about the OASIS Announcement items: "Set your LCOM Scheduling PIN" and "Set your default LCOM Scheduling Year"?
    No.  Feel free ignore these prompts. You are welcome to set them if you wish; they will not impact your matriculation progress. 

  • Why can't I see pre-matriculation requirements/items when I click on the Matriculation Requirements checklist, in OASIS?
    Click on "Show" in the upper right corner of your OASIS Matriculation Requirements checklist.

  • How do I add an entry to my Matriculation Requirements checklist?
    Click on "Add entry" in the upper right corner of your OASIS Matriculation Requirements checklist.

  • Why hasn't the red dot changed to a green check mark after I responded to a Matriculation Requirements checklist item even though I've completed the entry?
    For a limited number of items, the red dot will not change to indicate that the item is complete until the Admissions Office/Student Services has signed-off verifying receipt/correct upload of the requested documentation.

       Note: These items include official transcripts, technical standards form, disability insurance form, and HAVEN training completion.  Be
                 sure to include an actual "real" signature on the Technical Standards form and to designate a beneficiary on the Disability Form.

  • I've followed all of the on screen instructions, but my username fails to be recognized when I try to sign-off on my checklist item (such as trying to verify the upload of my Technical Standards form). What am I doing wrong?
    You only need to add the entry (attestation, upload, etc.) to each checklist item.  Your user credentials allow you to add the requested entry, but not to verify the entry; Medical Student Admissions/Student Services will log into the system regularly to review and sign-off on items requiring University verification.

  • Where should I send my final transcripts?
    Final transcripts should be mailed directly from the degree-granting institution to:

              The Robert Larner, M.D. College of Medicine at The University of Vermont
              Medical Student Admissions
              Given Courtyard South S-100
              89 Beaumont Avenue
              Burlington, VT 05405

    If you did not have any degrees still in progress at the time you were accepted, and you already submitted all of your final transcripts that note the conferral of your degree(s) via AMCAS you are all set; you do not need to send another copy to the Admissions Office.

    If, however, your degree was in progress at the time you were accepted, official transcripts confirming the conferral of all degrees that were in progress at the time of admission are required before you can matriculate at the Larner College of Medicine. The deadline for transcripts is July 1.

    If the degree is conferred after July 1, contact the Admissions Office prior to this deadline. In this exceptional situation, your official transcript must be received by the Admissions Office, mailed directly from the degree-granting institution, prior to the first day of Orientation.

  • I need help with the health insurance declaration. With whom may I speak?
    If you have questions about student health insurance, please contact the UVM Student Health Insurance Office.

  • I've reviewed the Technical Standards form and believe I may need to request an accommodation. Who do I contact?
    If you believe you might require an accommodation, please review the Medical Student Handbook Policy 310.00: Support for Disabilities:  Technical Standards Procedure for Admission, Advancement & Graduation for Students with Disabilities Seeking Accommodation for more information regarding how to seek accommodations.

  • I was admitted late and do not think I will be able to meet the July 1 deadline. What should I do?
    Students who are admitted late are expected to complete all the pre-matriculation requirements within 30 days from their official acceptance date. Contact the Office of Medical Student Education if you have additional questions or concerns.

  • May I receive any sort of waiver or extension for my requirements if I am getting married, buying a house, and/or traveling abroad over the summer?
    Congratulations! However, attending to all requirements takes very little time or effort, with the exception of the immunization requirement. The deadline stands, as patient safety is the Larner College of Medicine's priority.

    If you are traveling, you will need to coordinate completion of your requirements while overseas; the deadline to complete your matriculation requirements remains July 1. You can have you immunizations completed with an overseas medical provider and then you can either fax the documentation to UVM Student Health Services (Fax: +1.802.656.8001), or mail the original documentation to UVM Student Health Services, 425 Pearl Street, Burlington VT 05401 (keep copies for your personal records). Please ensure your documentation is in English. Contact UVM Student Health Services if you have questions about your immunization records.
  • How do I complete the Disability Enrollment Form?
    Please ensure you complete all fields--especially designating a beneficiary--on the PDF form prior to submitting it to the Office of Medical Student Education.  If you do not know where you will live when you move to Burlington, you can indicate your living address as "89 Beaumont Avenue, Given Mailroom, Burlington, VT 05405".  You will receive a Larner College of Medicine mailbox at this address upon matriculation.

    The coverage start date is the first day of your orientation.  This coverage may not be waived, even if you have other coverage.
  • My physician cannot complete the immunization form in time for me to meet the deadline. What should I do?
    It is the student's responsibility to ensure all forms are completed in time to meet the stated deadlines. It is strongly recommended that you submit your completed immunization form to Student Health Services by mid-May; July 1 is the latest date. We  encourage you to check on the status of your required forms with your physician and UVM Student Health Services, to ensure your forms are complete and on file. Students will not be permitted to matriculate on the first day of orientation unless their forms have been reviewed by Student Health Services.

  • Can my immunization form be submitted without part two of my PPD test?
    We have done our best to ensure that the requirements are clear and that students are advised to submit their documentation as early as possible in order to have their status fully cleared by July 1.

    Your provider should complete the form with current/existing information before it is submitted to Student Health Services. Please submit it immediately. If you know that you need one additional vaccination, do not delay sending in the form beyond the July 1 deadline. Instead, attach a note to the form advising Student Health Services that you are aware and when your appointment is scheduled. In all instances, students are expected to complete all matriculation requirements within 30 days of their official acceptance date.
  • What if my immunization records status is still not showing "Complete" when I sent my immunization records to the Center for Health and Wellbeing more than two weeks ago?
    Student Health Services serves the entire University population, including reviewing requirements for a large number of incoming undergraduate students over the summer. Please allow 10 business days before inquiring via to confirm that your paperwork was indeed received.  Monitor your OASIS Academic History file to track the status of your form. We highly recommend that you keep copies of your documentation to re-send in the extremely unlikely event that your form was not received by Student Health Services.

  • May I send my immunization form to the Center for Health and Wellbeing using images from my phone?
    Mail your original documentation, keeping copies for your records, to UVM Student Health Services, 425 Pearl Street, Burlington VT 05401. If Student Health Services requires additional information, you likely can send scanned attachments to; however, Student Health Services cannot process pictures taken by and/or sent from your phone.

  • I do not have health insurance. May I wait until I arrive on campus to complete my immunization requirements at the Center for Health and Wellbeing?
    The deadline for completion of your matriculation requirements is July 1. You are not eligible to be seen by UVM Student Health Services until August 1. During the interim, we encourage you to explore low cost clinics in your locale and/or insurance options, such as Vermont Health Connect or COBRA.


  • When will my first-year schedule be available?
    Admitted students are automatically enrolled in their first-year classes by mid-summer; students do not need to worry about enrolling in classes. At that time, students can access their individual schedules through the OASIS System. Until that time, first year classes and dates are posted on the incoming class academic calendar available on the Vermont Integrated Curriculum webpage (right side menu).

  • When is orientation? Where does it take place?
    Orientation begins on Monday, August 07, 2017 at 8:00 am and ends on August 11th. Student should plan to arrive at 7:45 am at the Given Courtyard on August 7th.

  • Am I required to attend the entire orientation program?
    Orientation is an essential part of your successful transition to medical school and your first official course; thus, attendance is mandatory.

  • What happens if I must miss a part of orientation? Are excused absences permitted?
    No. Orientation is a required part of the Vermont Integrated Curriculum; therefore, absences are not permitted. If you have an issue that will prevent you from attending any portion of Orientation, please review the Medical Student Handbook Policy 510.10: Attendence: Foundations   for information regarding course absences during the Foundations Level of the curriculum.

  • What should I wear to orientation?
    Student dress should be business casual for Orientation with comfortable shoes, unless instructed otherwise (specific activities during the week may call for alternative attire).  The Medical Student Handbook Policy 640.10 offers additional guidelines for medical students.

  • Should I bring anything with me to orientation on the first day?
    We recommend that you bring a backpack/tote bag for the materials you receive during Orientation as well as a pen for completing paperwork. A number of students also carry water bottles.


  • How do I register for classes?
    Registration is automatic, provided all of your mandatory forms have been completed and turned in. All first- and second-year students take the same courses.

  • I am trying to access my OASIS account, but I forgot my UVM password. Is there a way to reset it or change it?
    Network ID & Account Management provides UVM NetID support, including "Resetting a forgotten NetID password".

  • Does UVM own/manage a medical student housing facility?
    Most medical students live in apartments and properties in the surrounding communities that are within a short distance of the campus. Please visit the Off-Campus Student Housing site.

  • Do students tend to live in specific areas close to UVM and the University of Vermont Medical Center?
    There are many apartment complexes and condominiums around the medical center area that are close to bus transit routes (UVM students ride for free with their student identification cards). Many students live  south or west of campus; however, there are numerous other options. Please refer to the UVM Off-Campus Housing Information webpage and/or monitor the classifieds in the Weekly Wire (our weekly student newsletter, often featuring housing postings) for more information.
  • I would like to change my student parking pass/privileges.  Could the Larner College of Medicine grant me special permissions for a better parking situation?
    The Office of Medical Student Education does not manage University parking.  If students wish to discuss parking options, contact the UVM Parking & Transportation Office.  If you have a disability or injury that may warrant a temporary handicap parking pass or parking exemption, contact the Student Accessibilty Services (SAS) to explore your options.
  • How do I get proof of enrollment at UVM?
    "Proof of Enrollment" is requested through the UVM Registrar's Office, via your myUVM portal.  After you log onto myUVM portal, navigate to the "Registrar" tab and click on enrollment verification in the My Verification channel.  Once you have successfully signed in, you also can view loan deferment notifications that have been sent to lenders (such as VSAC) and any certificates which have been provided to health insurers or other organizations.  Please contact the UVM Registrar with any questions or visit their web page.
  • How Medical Students sign up for UVM Dining Services and On-Campus Housing?
    Medical students can sign up for a meal plan.  On-Campus housing depends on availability after all required undergraduate students are housed and the student's ability to sign a nine-month contract.  However, there is also off-campus, affiliate housing available to graduate students.  Please reach out to Residential Life or UVM Dining Services with Questions.  UVM Dining Services actually has a specific page for Medical & Graduate Meal Plans.  UVM Res Life has information regarding off-campus housing--Affiliate Housing and how to get housing.  For more information, you can view the UVM Res Life Housing and Meal Plan Contract Terms & Conditions.  Please let the Office of Medical Student Education know if you have any questions.