Insurance Coverage for Medical Students
Medical students at the Robert Larner, M.D. College of Medicine at The University of Vermont are covered by a number of insurance plans. Please refer to individual policy statements for additional details.
|Type of Insurance||Carrier||Notes||Related Policy||Contact|
Accidental Death and Dismemberment and Long Term Disability Insurance
The Standard Insurance Company
- All medical students are enrolled upon matriculation.
- Obligatory annual fee charged by Student Financial Services once per year (with Fall bill)
Disability Insurance 840.00
UVM Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) or verification of comparable coverage.
- All medical students are required to have health insurance. Annually students must sign up for coverage offered by the University or supply the name of their insurance provider.
- If SHIP plan is chosen, Student Financial Services initiates the charge alongside tuition each term.
Health Insurance 830.00
Center for Health and Wellbeing
Professional Liability Insurance
Pinnacle Consortium of Higher Education/Genesis Insurance Company through Marsh USA
- All UVM medical students are covered by professional liability insurance for credit-bearing rotations, including those taken outside of the University of Vermont Healthcare Network.
- No fee (tuition accounts for it).
Coverage is confirmed by the appropriate level coordinator in OMSE. Policy details can be provided on request. Coverage is renewed annually on July 1.
Department of Risk Management & Safety
Applicability of the Policy
All Medical Students
Related Larner College of Medicine Policies
Related University of Vermont Policies
Related Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) Standard(s)
12.6 Student Health and Disability Insurance
- 5/24/2016 Policy Adopted [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 12/17/2019 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 4/21/2020 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 2/15/2022 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
Associate/Assistant Dean for Students (Director of Student Well-being)
Previous | Next