Holidays and Vacations:
Students will be excused for major holidays of personal significance. If they are on a clinical rotation, they are expected to notify the course director and arrange their call schedules by advance planning and trading with colleagues to accommodate these needs.
- Holidays are observed in accordance with the standard practice of the clinical service on which the student is assigned. Students are expected to take call on holidays if they are on acting internships or on electives with active call schedules.
- 2. Students will be excused for major holidays of personal significance. They are expected to arrange their call schedules by advance planning and trading with colleagues to accommodate these needs.
- Students may schedule a total of six weeks of vacation during Advanced Integration, subject to compliance with the satisfactory attendance policy. Generally about a month of vacation is taken for residency interviewing.
- A month scheduled for preparation for the USMLE Step 2 CK Exam is not considered vacation. The study month is an elective. Students who choose not to enroll in a study month do not receive additional vacation time.
- Advanced Integration rotations are generally scheduled in four-week blocks within each month. Any variations must be approved by the faculty and staff responsible for the given rotation. Variations of more than a week must be taken as vacation.
Students are responsible for maintaining an accurate and current schedule in the online scheduling system.
- Leaves of absence are not covered by this policy statement. Students seeking such leave should review the Leave of Absence policy,
and must consult with the Associate/Assistant Dean for Students. Taking a Leave of Absence could delay a student's graduation date.
Applicability of the Policy
Advanced Integration Level Students
Related Larner College of Medicine Policies
Related University of Vermont Policies
Related Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) Standard(s)
- 6.3 Self-Directed and Life-Long Learning
- 8.8 Monitoring Time
- 7/16/2013 Policy Adopted/Affirmed [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 3/21/2017 Policy Edited [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 3/17/2020 Reformatted [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 10/20/2020 Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 2/16/2021 Policy Edited [Medical Curriculum Committee]
Senior Associate Dean for Medical Education
Previous | Next