Attendance: Advanced Integration Level
Students are expected to attend all required sessions while on clinical rotations.
Students may be excused from learning activities:
- to see a health care practitioner for any reason (for acute or primary care, psychotherapy, etc.)
- to attend advising or counseling meetings that pertain to their professional, personal, or academic life (e.g. attending appointments with the Office of Student Accessibility Resources)
- when there are conflicts with a major holiday of personal significance
- in the event of extenuating circumstances, such as personal events, personal illness, or serious illness in the family
- to present academic work at national meetings (ordinarily allowed two days away from course activities, a travel day and the day of the presentation)
- to participate in the residency interview process
Excused absence request procedure:
- Before an absence and whenever possible prior to the start of a clerkship rotation, a student may request an excused absence. To initiate the process, the student must upload the Excused Absence Request and Decision Form to
their OASIS “Exam Delay/Excused Absence Requests” academic history tab, which will notify the Associate/Assistant Dean for Students the pending request. Please note, an Excused Absence Request Form is not required to participate in a residency interview.
- The Associate/Assistant Dean for Students (or designee) will then upload the completed form approving or denying the excused absence and advising the student about related policies.
- Upon receiving the decision, the Office of Medical Student Education Curriculum Level Coordinator will notify the Course Director and any other necessary course personnel of the approved absence.
- The student is responsible for communicating with the Course Director to identify any curricular activities required to make up for the absence, including absences due to participation in residency interviews. Failure to complete required course work will result in a grade of Incomplete or Fail.
Applicability of the Policy
Advanced Integration Level Students
Related Larner College of Medicine Policies
560.00 Satisfactory Academic Progress
Related University of Vermont Policies
Related Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) Standard(s)
8.8 Monitoring Student Time
- 5/20/2014 Policy Adopted [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 8/26/2014 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 7/21/2015 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 6/19/2018 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 9/18/2018 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 3/17/2020 Reformatted [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 12/7/2020 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 12/15/2020 Policy Edited [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 2/16/2021 Policy Edited [Medical Curriculum Committee]
Senior Associate Dean for Medical Education
Previous | Next