Away Electives (Temporary Policy)
On April 15, 2021, Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO)/Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) opened to students for the 2021-2022 academic year. Per the Coalition for Physician Accountability Recommendations on 4/14/21, the Vermont Department of Health and University policies, the following temporary policy was developed for Larner College of Medicine students:
- Away electives prior to July 1, 2021 will be limited to LCOM learners who have a specialty interest and do not have access to a clinical experience with a residency program in that specialty in their school’s system. This includes Cardiothoracic Surgery, Child Neurology, Interventional Radiology, Ophthalmology, PMR, Plastic Surgery, Radiation Oncology, Thoracic Surgery, and Vascular Surgery which do not have residency programs at the UVM Medical Center.
- Beginning April 15, 2021 all students may apply for and schedule in-person away rotations with a date concluding in July or later.
- Students are limited to one away rotation in any specialty.
- If an LCOM medical student has applied to and been accepted for an away elective that concludes prior to 6/30/2021, they will not be permitted to participate, unless in compliance with above.
- VSAS applications will be reviewed, approved, and released by the Visiting Student Electives Coordinator. Students who wish to participate in more than one away rotation must get approval from a Dean for Students.
- Learners for whom away rotations are required for graduation or accreditation are exempted from this policy.
- Students who are travelling will need to be aware of and in compliance with local health department expectations governing travel at both the visiting and home institutions.
Applicability of the Policy
Advanced Integration Level Students applying for residency
Related Larner College of Medicine Policies
Related University of Vermont Policies
Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) Standard(s)
- 3.6 Student Mistreatment
- 5.10 Resources Used by Transfer/Visiting Students
- 10.8 Visiting Students
- 5/19/2020 Policy Adopted/Affirmed [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 9/2/2021 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
Associate/Assistant Dean for Students (Visiting Student Electives Coordinator)
Previous | Next