Opportunities in Global Health
Family Medicine prepares physicians with the focus and breadth of experience directly applicable to global health. Global health is not an easy topic to define; recent papers have in fact devoted themselves to its definition, and how it is different from International Health or Tropical Medicine.
For our purposes, a basic foundation in Global Health should include principles of social determinants of health and care of the underserved. Note that these principles do not apply simply to those practicing in developing countries, but equally to settings in the US as well. From this foundational discussion, we can then proceed to discuss the particulars of diseases affecting those of the developing world, and of the ways in which our medical students, residents, and faculty may educate themselves and others in global health.
Students with a strong interest in this discipline are encouraged to apply for a Master’s degree in public health with an emphasis on global health. We have an outstanding track record of advising and mentoring students in this regard, and previous UVM medical students have successfully received their MPH degrees (while completing their UVM MD degree) from Johns Hopkins University and Harvard University.
We welcome your interest in this important topic! For more information, please contact:
Omar Khan, MD, MHS, FAAFP, OKhan@christianacare.org.
- Koplan JP, Bond TC, Merson MH, Reddy KS, Rodriguez MH, Sewankambo NK, Wasserheit J, for the Consortium of Universities for Global Health Executive Board. Towards a common definition of global health. Lancet 2009; 373: 1993–95.
- Khan OA, Pietroni MP, Cravioto A. Global Health Education: International Collaboration at ICDDR,B. J Health Pop Nutr 2010 Dec; 28(6): 533-536.
- Houpt, E. Pearson, R. Hall, T. Three Domains of Competency in Global Health Education: Recommendations for All Medical Students. Acad Med. 2007; 82:222–225.
- Battat et al.: Global health competencies and approaches in medical education: a literature review. BMC Medical Education 2010 10:94.
- Khan OA, Ed. Marmot M, Nathanson N, Plotkin S, Seffrin J, Chowdhury M, Castillo C et al, Assoc Ed. Readings in Global Health. APHA Press, 2008.