Laboratory assays for clinical research
The Laboratory for Clinical Biochemistry Research (LCBR) provides high quality assays for clinical research including general chemistries, coagulation, fibrinolysis, hematology, inflammation, cardiac and kidney function, glucose metabolism, fibrosis, vitamins, and immune system function including cell-based assays. LCBR is capable of running multiplex assays that use very small sample volumes to generate results on many analytes concurrently. It can also extract and analyze DNA and serve as a biorepository, providing proper, labeling, storage, and retrieval of biospecimens.
Genetics and genomics services
The Laboratory of Human Genetics and Genomics at UVM is available to provide research support in the area of genome-wide genotyping. Investigators preparing grant proposals that include a genetics component are encouraged to contact the lab early in the proposal process to ensure that the required resources will be available. Genetics and genomics data obtained through the laboratory's research may also be available to investigators.
Skilled technicians provide can perform or provide expertise in:
- Small animal surgical procedures:
- aortic banding,
- generation of myocardial infarction and transient ischemia followed by reperfusion
- middle cerebral artery occlusion model of focal stroke (with or without reperfusion)
- unilateral carotid artery occlusion
- carotid wire injury model of restenosis
- femoral cuff procedure
- performance and interpretation of echocardiograms
- placental ischemia model of preeclampsia (reduced uteroplacental perfusion)
- osmotic minipump placement
- assistance in developing other surgical models
- Large animal surgical procedures:
- Handling, restraint or anesthesia (injected or inhaled) of any laboratory animal species
- Surgical procedure preparations including instrument preparation/sterilization, providing surgical supplies (solutions, drapes, sutures etc.) and PPE (gown, mask, gloves, etc.)
- Routine animal procedures including injections (IV, SQ, IA, IM), gavage, lavage, immunizations, blood sampling, and catheterizations
- Specialized diagnostic/imaging procedures including ECG, X-rays, Fluoroscopy, CT scans, Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), and Ultrasound (Echo)
- Minor surgical or catheter based procedures including pellet implants, hemodynamic measurements, angiography, ablations, electrophysiologic recordings, and catheter based location specific drug delivery or fluid sampling
- Course support for laproscopic, temporal bone, skull base, cadaver dissections, peripheral nerve, electrophysiology and non-animal microvascular suturing
- Tissue harvesting and related processing including cryo preservation.