Attendance: Foundations Level
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Foundations Level medical students are encouraged to attend in-person sessions; however, the focus of the Larner College of Medicine is on participation.
- Students are expected to participate in all active learning sessions.
- A student can attend in-person or remotely with no consequences, as long as they are participating. Students do not need to obtain permission to attend remotely. All learning groups should anticipate and be ready to engage with remote
- Medical Student Handbook Policy 510.10 - Attendance: Foundations Level emphasizes that participation is key. If there are concerns
about a student’s participation, this will be considered a breach of LCOM policy and those students will be asked to meet with the Assistant/Associate Dean for Students to decide on next steps.
- Students who are ill:
- If a student is feeling well enough to attend, but cannot because of COVID precautions (e.g., fever, runny nose, sore throat etc.), they can and should attend remotely as noted above.
- If a student is too sick to attend or has other extenuating circumstances outlined in Medical Student Handbook Policy 510.10, they
must contact the Associate/Assistant Dean for Students and the course director.
Applicability of the Policy
Foundations Level Students
Related Larner College of Medicine Policies
Please refer to Policy 510.10 - Attendance: Foundations Level for additional related policy statements.
Related University of Vermont Policies
Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) Standard(s)
8.8 Monitoring Student Time
9/30/2020 Policy Addendum Adopted/Approved [Medical Curriculum Committee]
Director of Foundations and Pre-Clinical Assessment
Previous | Next