Away Electives (Temporary Policy)
On May 27, 2020 Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO)/Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) will reopen to students. Per the Coalition for Physician Accountability Recommendations on 5/11/20, the Vermont Department of Health and University
policies, the following temporary policy was developed for Larner College of Medicine students:
- Away electives will be limited to LCOM learners who have a specialty interest and do not have access to a clinical experience with a residency program in that specialty in their school’s system.
This includes Cardiothoracic Surgery,
Child Neurology, Interventional Radiology, Ophthalmology, PMR, Plastic Surgery, Radiation Oncology, Thoracic Surgery, and Vascular Surgery which do not have residency programs at the UVM Medical Center.
- If an LCOM medical student has applied to and been accepted for an away elective prior to the report on 5/11/20 they will not be permitted to participate, unless in compliance with above.
- VSAS applications will be reviewed, approved and released by an Assistant Dean for Students and the Visiting Student Electives Coordinator.
- Students who are travelling will need to be aware of and in compliance with local health department expectations governing travel at both the visiting and home institutions.
Applicability of the Policy
Advanced Integration Level Students applying for residency
Related Larner College of Medicine Policies
Related University of Vermont Policies
Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) Standard(s)
- 3.6 Student Mistreatment
- 5.10 Resources Used by Transfer/Visiting Students
- 10.8 Visiting Students
5/19/2020 Policy Adopted/Affirmed [Medical Curriculum Committee]
Associate/Assistant Dean for Students (Visiting Student Electives Coordinator)
Previous | Next