eMODULE: Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI)
AUDIENCE: All Faculty, Staff
DURATION: 15 Minutes for survey, 30 Minutes for debrief
The Intercultural Development Inventory® (IDI®) is
a 50-item questionnaire available online that assesses intercultural competence—the capability
to shift cultural perspective and appropriately adapt behavior to cultural
differences and commonalities.
The Intercultural Development Plan® (IDP®) IDP is customized for each individual based on their own unique IDI individual profile and provides targeted personal action plans. The IDP helps individuals gain:
- Insight concerning intercultural challenges they face,
- Clarity of intercultural goals important to them, and
- Targeted, developmental learning that increases intercultural competence in bridging across diverse communities.
The Intercultural Development Continuum (IDC TM) describes a set of knowledge/attitude/skill sets or orientations toward cultural difference and commonality that are arrayed along a continuum from the more monocultural mindsets of Denial and Polarization through the transitional orientation of Minimization to the intercultural or global mindsets of Acceptance and Adaptation. The capability of deeply shifting cultural perspective and bridging behavior across cultural differences is most fully achieved when one maintains an Adaptation perspective.
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
Training and leadership development efforts at building intercultural competence are more successful when they are based on the individual’s or group’s underlying developmental orientation as assessed by the IDI.
- Describe the five orientations of the Intercultural Development Continuum.
- Understand the potential impacts of your IDI orientation on interactions within the individual and group settings.
- Recognize the importance of ongoing cultural humility development to the development of professionalism
HOW TO ACCESS THE COURSE
Contact us to take the Intercultural Development Inventory.