We are happy to present a preliminary agenda for this year's conference. A more detailed agenda will be released as the conference date draws closer. Our call for poster abstracts is now open!
To keep up to date with the latest information, please join our mailing list.
Please contact us with any questions.
Thursday, October 8, 2020
Welcome and Opening Remarks
Keynote Address: Lifestyle and U.S. Mortality Rates, Steven Woolf, MD, MPH, Professor of Family Medicine and Population Health, Virginia Commonwealth University
Session 1: Substance Use Disorders and Adverse Health Outcomes
- Session Chair: Sarah H. Heil, PhD, Vermont Center on Behavior and Health Professor, Departments of Psychiatry and Psychological Science, University of Vermont
- Opioid Addiction, Overdose, and Disease - Judith Feinberg, MD, Professor, Department of Behavioral Medicine & Psychiatry, West Virginia University
- Infectious Disease and Rural Addiction - Kirk Dombrowski, PhD, Vice President for Research, University of Vermont
- Opioid Use Disorder and Pregnancy - Hendree Jones, PhD, Professor, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill
- Smoking-Attributable Cancer by State: A Source of Rural Public Health Disparity? Andrea Villanti, PhD, MPH Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Vermont
Special Lunchtime Event: Leveraging Innovation for Rural SUDs Care: Exploring Case Studies
Presented by: UVM Center on Rural Addiction (CORA)
During this special lunchtime event, learn about new interventions and technology through case-study discussions facilitated by local champions, UVM CORA faculty, and research pioneers.
Session Chairs: Sanchit Maruti, MD, Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Vermont and Robert Althoff, MD, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of Vermont
Session 2: Rural Residence, Cancer, and Cardiovascular Disease
- Session Chair: Philip A. Ades, MD, Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, University of Vermont
- Rural Obesity, Cancer, and Weight Control - Christie Befort, PhD, Professor, Department of Population Health, Associate Director, Cancer Prevention and Control, University of Kansas Cancer Center, University of Kansas Medical Center
- Rural-Urban Differences in Stroke Risk - George Howard, DrPH, Professor and Chair, Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Breast Cancer Control in Rural Settings - Brian L. Sprague, PhD, Associate Professor, Office of Health Promotion, Department of Surgery, University of Vermont
Session 3: Rural Urban Difference in Cardiac Prevention
Speaker: David Schopfer, MD, Program Officer, Clinical Cardiovascular Disease, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Virtual Poster Session