Lockers on the second and third floors of the Given Building are provided for use by first and second year medical students. Lockers on Baird 2 at the UVM Medical Center are available to clinical-level students.
Students accepting locker assignments agree to abide by the terms of this policy as listed below, with the understanding that the locker is assigned to them for a limited time until the end of the Foundations Level of the curriculum (Given lockers)
and the end of their clerkship or Advanced Integration rotation at the UVM Medical Center (UVMMC lockers) after which time it must be vacated. Moreover, that the locker will be subject to re-assignment should a student be placed on an extended
Leave of Absence (lasting longer than three consecutive months). Please be advised that the University of Vermont is only responsible for University property and is not responsible for lost or stolen personal items. Students are advised to ascertain
if their renter's or homeowner's insurance might cover such items.
- Students will be provided the combinations to Given lockers. Combination locks will be assigned and signed out from the Office of Medical Education for UVMMC lockers. Students must keep their locker combinations private. Student will have seven days to return the lock upon notice, after this time all contents will be confiscated and the locker will be given to another student.
- Students agree to empty their Given lockers of all contents at the end of Foundations Level of the curriculum, and their UVMMC lockers at the end of their clerkship or Advanced Integration rotation at the UVM Medical Center. Failure to do so will
result in a $50 cleaning fine and necessitate opening of lockers by staff to empty their contents after the expiration of the assignment period.
- While students have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their lockers, University or UVM Medical Center personnel may open and check the contents of lockers if there are valid health or safety concerns, with or without the permission of, or
the provision of prior notice to, the student assigned to the locker.
- Lockers must be maintained in a clean and orderly manner.
- Students will be billed for any willful damages to their lockers.
- Students may not share their locker space with other parties.
- Since lockers are located in public and professional spaces, please do not permanently attach or display anything (i.e., stickers) on the exterior surface of any locker.
- Materials placed above lockers are not secure. Do not store anything above the locker.
- No firearms, other weapons, or illegal substances may be stored in any lockers. University personnel will notify UVM Police Services, and UVM Medical Center Security in the case of UVMMC lockers, if any weapons or illegal substances are identified
or suspected to be present in student lockers.
- Any student who wishes to keep their locker location confidential should notify the Office of Medical Education in writing or by e-mail.
Applicability of the Policy
All Medical Students
Related Larner College of Medicine Policies
Related University of Vermont Policies
Related Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) Standard(s)
5.11 Study/Lounge/Storage Space/Call Rooms
- 7/16/2013 Policy Adopted/Affirmed [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 6/20/2017 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 3/17/2020 Reformatted [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 7/19/2022 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
Associate/Assistant Dean for Students (Student Services Coordinator)
Previous | Next