Statement on Medical Professionalism
- Larner College of Medicine Professionalism Statement: Our Larner College of Medicine Community upholds the highest standards of professionalism as we follow our passion
for lifelong learning and improvement. We demonstrate professionalism through integrity, accountability, compassion, altruism, and social responsibility. We honor the trust our society has placed in us as stewards of the art and science of
medicine, relying on cultural humility, kindness, and respect to guide our daily interactions. We expect all members of our community to embrace these principles of professionalism as we strive to conduct and support patient care, research,
and education that are second to none.
- Medical training is a time of unique clinical, educational and social experiences for medical students as well as a time when appropriate professional attitudes and behaviors can be developed and nurtured. Those responsible for educating medical
students must emphasize the importance of professionalism and demonstrate it by example.
- While knowledge and technical skills are crucial in medicine and science, the manner in which they are used is equally important. In addition to competence in their disciplines, all medical professionals must strive to exhibit those qualities
that constitute professionalism.
Applicability of the Policy
Related Larner College of Medicine Policies
Related University of Vermont Policies
Related Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) Standard(s)
- 3.5 Learning Environment/Professionalism
- 3.6 Student Mistreatment
- 2/21/12 Policy Adopted [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 4/12/2012 Policy Affirmed [COM Advisory Council]
- 12/17/2019 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
Office of the Dean (Director of the Learning Environment)
Previous | Next