Evaluation of the Curriculum
It is the professional responsibility of the student to participate in the ongoing improvement of the Larner College of Medicine, its curriculum, and its learning environment. As such, all students have the responsibility to participate in evaluation
of courses, faculty, peers, and the learning environment. Students must complete a confidential evaluation at the end of a required course. Students in the Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship (LIC) must complete these evaluations quarterly. All
evaluations are aggregated and provided to the course director, the Student Education Committee (SEC), and faculty after student grades are released.
Evaluations of faculty teaching are confidential and are expected to be respectful, professional, and constructive. Student evaluations are protected so that student identity cannot be determined by faculty or administration from within the
evaluation system. However, it is recognized that there may be rare instances in which an evaluation may contain language that implies a threat to the safety of the student or other member of the community. In such cases, the Associate Dean of
Students would be notified and may request the Chief Information Officer of the Larner College of Medicine to perform the necessary actions to identify the source of a potential threat to personal safety.
Student completion and submission of end-of-course evaluations is mandatory in required courses. Completion of evaluations will be monitored by the Office of Medical Education and are considered a professional responsibility of medical students.
Repeated failure to complete required evaluations will result in professionalism concerns which may lead to sanctions, up to and including academic advancement, scholarship and leadership opportunities, and/or referral to the Fitness Committee.
Applicability of the Policy
All Medical Students
Related Larner College of Medicine Policies
Related University of Vermont Policies
Related Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) Standard(s)
- 8.3 Curricular Design, Review, Revision/Content Monitoring
- 8.7 Comparability of Education/Assessment
- 4/15/2014 Policy Adopted/Affirmed [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 8/18/2015 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 5/24/2016 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 8/10/2017 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 12/20/2017 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 7/9/2018 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 3/17/2020 Reformatted [Medical Curriculum Committee]
- 7/19/2022 Policy Revised [Medical Curriculum Committee]
Assistant Dean for Medical Education (Director of Curriculum Evaluation and Assessment)
Previous | Next