The Larner College of Medicine Running Team and The Vermont City Marathon
Each year first year medical students lead a team of other students, faculty, staff, and community members in participating in The Vermont City Marathon's Miles for a Mission program. In addition to running in the race, the team garners support for a student-selected program at our academic medical center.
The students have once again chosen to support the UVM Cancer Center’s Steps to Wellness program. Steps to Wellness is a free oncology rehabilitation and exercise program that serves the unique needs of cancer survivors. The program is designed to help participants achieve renewed levels of strength and well-being and to provide practical tools to create lifelong health benefits.
Money raised through the marathon has enabled Steps to Wellness to help hundreds of patients who are in remission, recovering from cancer or going through treatment to work toward building overall wellness and enhance recovery.
Interested in joining the fun?
- Participate in the Vermont City Marathon - our team has slots for marathons, half marathons, and several 3-5 person relay teams at the discounted Miles for a Mission rates. Each team member commits to running and raising money for Steps to Wellness. Members who raise $250 or more will get a team running shirt.
- To register for a slot, click here. Note: if you're running a relay, you will need to choose a team captain first but this designation can be changed at any time.
- Once you have registered, set up your personalized fundraising page here.
- Please note: we do not currently have any more full marathon slots available. If you would still like to run a marathon with the team and have not yet signed up, please reach out to Hannah Burnett at 802-656-4267 or email@example.com
- The Running Team will host various group hikes and training runs leading up to the Marathon. Check back here for a list of upcoming events
- You can support a specific runner with a gift to Steps to Wellness here.
- General donations to Steps to Wellness can be made here.
- Participate in the bake sale at The Larner College of Medicine on Match Day, March 17, 2017 by either baking treats or purchasing treats during and following the Match Day Ceremony. Details to come.
- If you are not interested in running but would like to help, there will be many volunteer opportunities on race day. Please email Hannah Burnett if you would like to volunteer.
For more information, contact Hannah Burnett or any of your Larner College of Medicine Running Team Captains - Lauren Donnelly, Nathan Dreyfus, Kirsten Martin, Scott Mitchell, and Caroline Vines.